NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Advance Wars

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lindsay40k
Gamer

Advance Wars Empty
PostSubject: Advance Wars   Advance Wars Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:51 am

I play Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict, AWDS, or better yet Advance Wars by Web.
Back to top Go down
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

Advance Wars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars   Advance Wars Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:05 pm

I played the first one on my brothers DS, really enjoyed it. Perhaps it would be worth picking up the sequel if i see it second hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.erebusstyx.co.uk/
lindsay40k
Gamer

Advance Wars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars   Advance Wars Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Erebus-Styx wrote:
I played the first one on my brothers DS, really enjoyed it. Perhaps it would be worth picking up the sequel if i see it second hand.

AW2 on GBA is by far the best to get into AW by, AWDS has too many broken gimmicks. DoR/Dark Conflict is pretty good to get into as well though.
Back to top Go down
acandymancan
Secretary
acandymancan

Advance Wars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars   Advance Wars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 3:39 am

Yeah I agree, I played both the originals and loved them AW and AW2! good ol advance. What are the new DS ones like.
Back to top Go down
http://tompearsonmultimedia.blogspot.com/
lindsay40k
Gamer

Advance Wars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars   Advance Wars Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 5:59 am

acandymancan wrote:
What are the new DS ones like.

AWDS is totally broken by 'Dual Strikes'.

You get to have two Commanding Officers. This in itself can magnify the brokeness of powerful characters like Grit and Sensei.

But when both CO's power bars are full, you can activate a Dual Strike; basically, your active CO takes his turn, and then so does the inactive one. It's a stupidly overpowered gimmick that causes the game to stop being about who can outmaneuver to the contested territory and instead is simply a race to who can press the win button first.

You can have an honourable agreement to not use it, or only take a single CO each, but still it's a bad design feature.

AWDoR/DC is interesting. Total graphical redesign; Fog works differently - some good ideas, some stupid ones (you can hide in a city same as a forest and rain makes every unit's vision range = 1); Bikes (Infantry with movement 5); new air units (a weak plane and a naval fighter/bomber with little fuel/ammo), and the Battleship can move and fire.

Most significantly, your CO no longer affects everybody; they lead from the front, in a unit with a localised area of effect. Combined with the level up system for veteran units, it makes for interesting spearhead attacks.
Back to top Go down
KrazyKakashi234
Casual Gamer
KrazyKakashi234

Advance Wars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars   Advance Wars Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 am

I really like what they did with Dark Conflict, the limited area of effect for C0's abilities and being able to have them occupy a vehicle and such. The darker twist on the storyline was an interesting addition, but I do miss the old COs lol. The whole dual screen battle and dual strikes on the previous Advance Wars for DS did overcomplicate things, but it was still a pretty good game for me. I really like the latets one but there's one major problem for me with it, the lack of 1 player stuff to do. From what I can remember (I think I traded the game in lol),you have the main story mode, some trial maps to do in it and then free battles right? Dual Strike had plenty of modes to keep us occupied and some of the new maps didn do it for me on Dark Conflict either.

I hope there is plenty more to do in the next Advance Wars, but the changes they madein Dark Conflict were some pretty good ones actually, I really hated them at first, but upon playing it, I did really enjoy the game in the end lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advance Wars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars   Advance Wars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advance Wars
Page 1 of 1