NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PS3 Slim (now official)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

PS3 Slim (now official) Empty
PostSubject: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:39 am

So the PS3 slim was just announced at Gamescom (Germany), release 1st Sept

How does that make you feel?

*edit* here's the Link http://kotaku.com/5339968/sony-announces-slim-ps3-+-it-lives-this-september
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 pm

i'm not shocked and it's still dumb.
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 am

Yea, to be fair this was the worst kept secret in recent gaming history, but I dunno, something about the whole thing almost reeks of desperation. I mean 3 years in and sony has still yet to make a real splash in this generation and have sold way fewer consoles than predicted. This isnt just a new PS3, its a whole new re-branding, its almost as if their relaunching the console even to go as far as phase out the older models.

It also means a cheaper console....well if you live in the US that is: $300 - 300 euros wtf is that about, were being charged £50 extra, but then this is nothing new. Im curious to see how this all pans out for sony
Back to top Go down
Hellfang
Treasurer
Hellfang

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:14 am

BUT will it have proper backwards compatibility? i think it will sell decently if sony can get that in there, alot of people seem to be on the fence about the PS3 because they wanna be able to play their PS2 games on it.
Back to top Go down
http://hellfang.co.uk
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:58 pm

I doubt it will have any more backwards compatibility, it's smaller. Also they have gotten rid of the Linux install, so it looks like they're dropping features and lowering the price, seeing as the 360 is getting crazy cheap these days. Although I hear there will be a 360 price increase soon for UK only!
Back to top Go down
http://www.erebusstyx.co.uk/
Serif
Hardcore Gamer
Serif

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:52 am

What I know about the PS3 slim:
It will still have no backwards compatibility.
It won't have a built in card reader, like the first PS3s did.
It'll only have 2 USB ports.
It won't have a powerswitch at the back, only the standby button on the front.
It'll supposedly have better hard drive (options), unsure of the details here.
It'll still play Blu-ray movies, and handle any PS3 game like a regular PS3.
It'll be cheaper.
Oh, and they've gotten rid of the 'install other OS' feature.
...and the verticle stand for it will cost $24.
And supposedly it features a new version of the cell processor, 34% smaller, 40% less power consumption.
They say they've added something to give the gpu a good kick, too, but nothing too special, I imagine.
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Quote :
wtf is that about, were being charged £50 extra

Ok hands up on that one, turns out we're getting a £50 reduction at £250, this pleases me

also don't forget the ps2 had a vertical stand but stood on its side just fine, and I think this one will too
http://kotaku.com/5341216/ps3-slim-standing-test

also is it me or is everyones veiw of the PS3 in this thread quite negative? (my own included)

ITT: Xbros
Back to top Go down
Hellfang
Treasurer
Hellfang

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Shoe box ant wrote:

sonyfriend here, i love my ps3 and all, but its clear sony are screwing themselves over by not adding backwards compatibility. i dont understand why they dont just release a version of the ps3 with backwards compatibility like the old ones had? it's obviously possible. apparently they are never going to put it back in though? http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/sony-answers-our-questions-about-the-new-playstation-3.ars

from the page: "It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table," Koller says with an air of finality. But it's all people ever talk about!"

DOOD if it's all people ever talk about, you should put it back in!
Back to top Go down
Serif
Hardcore Gamer
Serif

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Shoe box ant wrote:
Eh, I'm a little skeptical when a company tries to re-release a product like this, only to announce they're removing alot of things rather than adding.
As for the xbox, I have to admit, I really don't like it.
Seriously, I can't see the appeal, I won't go into detail, but if I was to part with a hefty sum of cash for a console, it'd be for a PS3, but that decision isn't swayed even the slightest by the prospect of said PS3 being a little slimmer. I mean seriously, who thinks about buying a PS3 and doesn't because they think it's too chunky?
...except one of my housemates has a PS3, one of the old ones, too, so it has a decent size hard drive and a card reader, so I'd probably spend the cash on a new graphics card so I can continue to play the prettiest PC games at their prettiest.

*edit*
As for going back to read that article, this struck me, concerning backwards compatibility:
"It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," he claimed.

You know, as someone who may potentially buy a PS3 in the next year or so, this is probably one of the bigger driving forces behind my potential purchase.
The man being interviewed is a complete retard if he thinks it's not important.
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 2:04 pm

I don't want to hate sony and the PS3, but they're not making it easy :/
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:06 pm

I think the real issue in regard to backward compatibility is this:

Why would Sony spend money implementing backward compatibility so people can play games they already own when instead they can make you buy the games again in the form of DLC.

I predict PS2 games for download by the end of 2010
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Shoe box ant wrote:

I'll back you on that.
Back to top Go down
Serif
Hardcore Gamer
Serif

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Shoe box ant wrote:
I'm guessing you're right, but moreso towards early 2011, I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Hellfang
Treasurer
Hellfang

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:52 am

Shoe box ant wrote:

that's probably about right. but hopefully once they have the ability to emulate ps2 games on the ps3, there wont be a need to repay for games you already own, because it should just be able to emulate from the disk?
Back to top Go down
Serif
Hardcore Gamer
Serif

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 am

Hellfang wrote:
Shoe box ant wrote:

that's probably about right. but hopefully once they have the ability to emulate ps2 games on the ps3, there wont be a need to repay for games you already own, because it should just be able to emulate from the disk?
Nah, it's entirely plausable for Sony to have the PS3 only able to play PS2 games you've downloaded, even so far as to add security features like we've seen in EA games, that require you to be connected to the internet and logged in to verify you've paid for them.
Unfortunately you're probably not going to be able to reuse those old PS2 discs, short of some magical hacking legend creating a working emulator on some linux PS3 distro.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Slim (now official)   PS3 Slim (now official) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3 Slim (now official)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NTU Gamer Soc :: Gamer Banter :: Playstation-
Jump to: