NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PC help

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rosco100
Casual Gamer
Rosco100

PC help Empty
PostSubject: PC help   PC help Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 am

Finally got my new rig up and running.

Asus P55 Pro
ATI HD 5770
2gb DDR3 1333 (temporary)
Core i5 750
Windows 7

Its plugged in to a multi adapter, and the other day I screwed it up. I plugged in the charger for my electric razor, and everything immediately stopped and I can't get it to work since. If I turn it on now, all lights and fans spin up, I get a post beep, but the monitor receives no display output.

I suspect that, as the PSU is clearly working, i've probably fried the mobo.

Any thoughts?? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

PC help Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC help   PC help Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:36 am

Just randomly stumbled back into this forum, noticed a fellow gamer in distress Razz

Firstly try booting up without any HDD's connected, If something happens, you will need to reset the BIOS to default (which should now hopefully appear, normally hit F5 or F8 to get to it when booting)

If that isn't the case or it did not work, next step is clearing the Bios CC, which is done by finding the small jumper pin on your motherboard (it's a 3 pin jumper with a small connector over 2 pins) It will be labeled CLEAR, CLEARCMOS, CC, CLR, PWD, PASSWORD, or something to that effect. you need to change the small connector on that over to the other pins (the middle pin and the currently exposed pin) then boot up the PC.

The PC will then make a beep sound (most likely, it varies) so after about 5 seconds turn off the PC, then move the connector back to the original poisition and start up the PC again, it should load you into the BIOS settings, which will be default, you will need to make sure they are ok, ie it recognises your hardware.

If that worked, awesome!
If not, I'd get your PSU checked first, sometimes single power rails can short so you think it's fine but it isn't, it's a real simple test you can take to almost any PC shop, PC world probably do it too.

If your PSU is fine, then yes, it does seem more likely that it's your motherboard, you could get your PC tested somewhere but that, unlike the other steps, will cost you money (but may save you money if you try and replace the bit that isn't broken!)

A little tip, for PC's, ALWAYS connect them to a reliable surge protector and NEVER connect devices to it that drain mass amount of watts, ie, toasters, guitar amps, hairdryers, electric razors, laptop chargers etc.
In fact, it will help your PC if all you connect is your PC (and maybe monitor(s)).
Back to top Go down
Rosco100
Casual Gamer
Rosco100

PC help Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC help   PC help Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 am

I'm going away for the next week and will sort it out afterwards. Please don't lose interest in the post as your help in invaluable.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Rosco100
Casual Gamer
Rosco100

PC help Empty
PostSubject: Progress   PC help Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Have tried a different PSU in there and nothings changed. I guess i'll take it into a repair shop soon. Unless anybodies got an i5 mobo I can swap in to test it??
Back to top Go down
Rosco100
Casual Gamer
Rosco100

PC help Empty
PostSubject: Found a solution!!!   PC help Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Don't know if it interests anybody but I took it into the IT Pitstop place on Campus today. The guy there was dead helpful.
After a lot of headscratching he took every component apart, left the CMOS battery out for a while, and, I quote, "blew compressed air at the processor". I know, i've never heard anything so wierd either. Anyway, he put it all back together again and i'm playing Total War on it now.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PC help Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC help   PC help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PC help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NTU Gamer Soc :: RL Banter-
Jump to: