NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Developer Showdown

Go down 
+3
Jeeva
3agle_land3r
Radical Ewok
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't knw if anyone's been following this but the developers are starting to take it seriously.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/tournaments/standings/2-2010-March-Mayhem-Developers-Showdown

On every WoW forum there is a Vote for Blizzard thread and now I just saw Valve's news update asking people for their votes.

Obviously going to come down to Blizzard vs. Valve as this is where all the fan boys sit. Is anyone supprised at some of the results though? I'm quite shocked that Popcap lost out to Bethesda. Although that being said all the hardcore Popcap fans are too busy playing those games to even feed themselfs let alone vote for something.

Who do you want to win and who are you sad didn't make it further?
Back to top Go down
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 4:33 am

Personally, Valve FTW, imo best game developer out there hands down.

on another note, Bungie Vs Blizzard had to be a damn close bracket, titans clashing there, Halo Reach is looking incredible, and I don't even need to state the popularity of one particular Blizzard produced mmo...

also, I love how MW2 got owned by Farmville

Last edited by 3agle_land3r on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:39 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : i cant spell)
Back to top Go down
Jeeva
Treasurer

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Ha! Lovin' the sound of farmville, just for that.

Personally I think Bethesda >>> Popcap, but I'm not that huge a fan of popcap, so... =\
Really, just in terms of "who is the better developer", just for work put in, surely Bethesda win in your heart, Jay?
Back to top Go down
http://www.justpowerdown.com
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:22 pm

i'm a plants vs zombies addict. any game that i've spent over 160hours on and not realised how much i've played gets my vote ^^
Back to top Go down
Garionepsilon
Mega Gamer
Garionepsilon

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 4:54 am

As much as I want Valve to win (hell knows they deserve it), I'm sad some developers I recognise didn't do very well. Lionhead, Insomniac Team ICO, Sucker Punch (not to mention Square Enix) have made some epic games, and I'm sure on a better day wouldn't have fallen so soon. Plus I have no idea who Zynga are so heck knows how they got that far.

Everyone hates Ubisoft for incorporating that DRM shit into their PC games. Obviously someone got paid to vote.
Back to top Go down
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 am

Square Enix can go suck eggs as far as I'm concerned, Enix have been sending Squaresoft down the wrong route since they merged, and their games have suffered.

Zynga make probably the majority of Facebook games, and their games are very popular to say the least. (not a fan myself, much prefer the dustiness of BC2)

also, correct me if i'm wrong, but have Ubisoft not changed the DRM recently? Perhaps I am thinking of something else.

Lionhead I only know for making Fable, and tbh I didn't see what all the fuss was about with them (imo). So that could be why they didn't get past Rockstar North, who tbf, did an amazing job on GTA.

The shock result though*, Blizzard just got knocked out by BioWare!! So it's a Valve Vs BioWare final! Think I can guess the result**.

*maybe not such a shock, they did make Dragon Age Origins and ME2, which I hear are good.
**But you never know....
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:52 am

holy crap! bioware won. good job to them tbh. i will be cursing their name if they beat valve though. i mean valve are the best developers of all time ever. who ever disagrees with that statement is wrong. it's not an oppinion, it's a fact.
Back to top Go down
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 am

Radical Ewok wrote:
i mean valve are the best developers of all time ever.

QFT
Back to top Go down
Knightmare
Gamer
Knightmare

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 am

3agle_land3r wrote:
Square Enix can go suck eggs as far as I'm concerned, Enix have been sending Squaresoft down the wrong route since they merged, and their games have suffered

why does everyone say that? The fact that enix's properties are as good as they always were really disproves that idea plus square make up a majority of the board

as for Bioware vs Valve I don't care who wins, I enjoy Bioware's games more (Half-life 2 took too long for me to enjoy it) but they are still pretty damn good
Back to top Go down
Andy-G
Gamer
Andy-G

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Zynga was probably offering bonuses on their FB games if you voted for them, which is the only reason they got past the first round. imo they don't even deserve to be in that competition. They look at the massive number of bugs in their games (really serious ones, too), shrug, and continue working on new content with which to siphon muppets' monies.
They're not worthy of the epic title 'Dev'

Valve vs Bioware strikes me as epic Multiplayer vs epic Singleplayer an' for that reason I'm rooting for the makers of NWN.
Back to top Go down
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Knightmare wrote:

why does everyone say that? The fact that enix's properties are as good as they always were really disproves that idea plus square make up a majority of the board

Squaresoft: FF8, FF9, FFX
Square Enix: FF11, FF12, FF13

FF8: awesome
FF9: awesome
FFX: awesome
FF11: dont really know since it was online and everyone complained about how shit it was
FF12: regarded as shit by most people though i did kind of like it, but it was definately not a FF game, more monster hunter with a fuck ton of items
FF13: worst FF to date, and best looking
Back to top Go down
Hellfang
Treasurer
Hellfang

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 12:21 am

hmm i think knightmare is probably right with the squeenix stuff, i think ff going downhill is just a case of new square people wanting to take the games in a different direction. plus uematsu stopped doing the music and nomura took over from amano for art design, i think that probably has more to do with it.
Back to top Go down
http://hellfang.co.uk
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 am

The winner is Valve! As if it could be anyone else Smile
Back to top Go down
Knightmare
Gamer
Knightmare

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:57 am

it was pretty obvious on the second day when Valve had something like 56% of the total votes, still congrats to them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Developer Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Developer Showdown   Developer Showdown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Developer Showdown
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NTU Gamer Soc :: Gamer Banter-
Jump to: