NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ODST

Go down 
+5
3agle_land3r
Erebus-Styx
Amaya
Shoe box ant
Radical Ewok
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

ODST Empty
PostSubject: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 5:23 pm

HOLY BALLS! I can't believe Will hasn't made this thread yet!

I'm sure he'll be in charge of this thread in no time, but untill then I think you guys should see a video he linked me which has made my opinion of ODST from "Meh" to "AMAGAURD THAT IS TEH RAWKZ!"

Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 5:06 am

This will probably be a day one purchase for me, I hated halo's story but its gameplay way and levels were fantastic, especialy the multiplayer. Comes with extra multiplayer maps for halo 3 too so w00ty!
Sad fact is this is probably going to be one of the best games this fall, what with the rapidly decreasing release schedule, still im looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Amaya
Insane Gamer
Amaya

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 2:03 pm

mehhh, looks okay to me... will probably steal shoebox's copy to see if it plays well. Not really interested in the Halo series after 2 and 3 were both disappointments - both good games sure, but feel they could have been much better. Didn't really get into the multiplayer either, was okay at it but didn't enjoy the shotgun camping on the snowy level and i rage quit once and never went back! Though i did like the look of the old school Halo pistol!

From what ive seen modern warfare 2 > Halo ODST... reserving judgement til ive played em both!
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 pm

obviously MF2 > ODST. They are after all charging us £10 more just for the privelage of buying it!
Back to top Go down
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 5:22 pm

Halo 3 disappointments!? maddness. Also ODST notice any of the voice cast. (hint: its the cast of firefly)
Back to top Go down
http://www.erebusstyx.co.uk/
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 12:24 pm

WFT?! did you hax edit my original post? i swear i put a reason for thinking this game was going to be good was because it was just firefly the game Very Happy

I WANA C KAYLEES TITS!
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 4:31 pm

on a scale of one to ten, ten being HELL YEAH! should I watch firefly? I've been meaning to get around to it for a while now

The story looks pretty good, less OMG MSTER CHEF, LTS SV THE WRLD FRM Tyranids Zerg FLUD and more we're marines that shoot stuff (in style)

for me Halo was never about plot, but the experience off being a one man army, which often the plot would get in the way of (not so much in Halo:CE)
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 6:53 pm

you should watch firefly on a scale of 8/10. the first episode is kinds of meh but the rest are SO AMAZING you'll wish you'd seen them sooner. I recomeend you get every episode and just watch them back to back. the plot doesn't really carry on to each episode but the story as a whole is great!
Back to top Go down
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:45 am

Bought this last night in Nottingham gamestation at 12 (cos im hardcore lol), soon as I got back to the flat went online with my mate from back home to play the co-op campaign.

I have to say my first impressions of this game are not very good, it was hyped a lot and I was really looking forward to it, but I just feel it has missed the mark somewhere. I have played about 4 hours of co-op and solo campaign and it doesnt feel like a very satisfying game.

It really does just seem like they took master cheif, took away some of his armour, gave him shitty weapons and stopped him from doing ridiculous jumps. And so far I haven't seen any benefits from those shortcomings.

The dark gritty atmosphere is definately there but with the contrast of the game you have to constantly have the VISR mode on to see where you are going, this spoils the feel somewhat and makes it more GRAW than HALO, (and they weren't good games).

The old pistol from the original halo is a great weapon, but lacking in power to deal with any kind of threat larger than a pathetic grunt. The silenced sub machine-gun everyone has been droning on about is awful, LOTS of recoil and about as much use as a chocolate teapot in a game of destruction derby.

I really would like to be saying positive thing about this game but its really not so easy after all that hype. The story may FIT with those of H2 and H3, but it hasn't engrossed me so far and has only left me confused as to why the hell I am on this damn planet with these useless chimpanzees that call themselves ODST's.

All I can say is that I've only played 4 hours, perhaps it will change my mind as a complete picture, but I can say that I have kept the receipt.

Perhaps firefight mode will redeem it, but then if thats the only good thing about the game, perhaps it should have been patched onto H3 like originally intended.

Sorry to kill any buzz that was flying around but I figured you were the guys to tell rather than some avid HALO fan who will kill himself if he hears a bad word about a creation of Bungie's.

Damn, a bad review of ODST, never saw that one coming.
Back to top Go down
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 am

I also brought the game and midnight and I found the opposite to be true.

I loved Halo 3 but it was always too colourful and lack lacked any realism, which isn't exactly a bad thing but the Halo universe has a lot of detail and with the original all the detail seemed too far way. In ODST if you come accross just a few grunt you can't just run and gun because your a mere man and you have to think about what your doing (When I got recoil from the SMG i though "awesome finally some recoil in a Halo game). A few times I've been walking down the streets of new Mombasa and I've just hide behind a box until a patrol party passes and then sneak by.

You could argue it's Halo with bits cut out or a new experience althougher and to be honest I'd rather try something new.

I too am also only a few hours in so we'll see. Still haven't tried firefight mode but if it's anything like horde mode on Gears it should be good.
Back to top Go down
s_doolan
Hardcore Gamer
s_doolan

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:40 am

Yooo I got me some ODST on Monday, although i went a bit mad and completed it. I liked it, because its was a nice change of pace from punch everything to death and take no damage, which I'm not saying is a bad thing. They make some pretty good changes to make it seem like you really are an ODST and not just playing master chief -2 feet, like removing dual wielding, no recharging shields and taking some heavy hits from things such as grunts. All in all I would say this is a very good game bearing in mind it was made in 14 months and is a cut price title.

All I can say now is, anyone up for some firefight at some point?
Back to top Go down
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:40 am

just completed on co-op legendary, its still not really won me over, the reason I played 3's campaign so much was exactly BECAUSE you can run and gun everything like you're chuck norris in armour. I know it's new and its trying something different but tbh, there are a lot of games that do exactly what Bungie are trying and do it a lot better, the only difference being that this is in the HALO universe.

Firefight is interesting, not quite as boring as gears's monotonous horde mode which I got bored of after I got past wave 30. I may keep the game long enough to play all the firefight maps but other than that, I'm really considering trading it in for CoD:MW2 or Dirt 2.

Halo3:ODST just hasn't pulled me in the same way 3 did, and I expected it too from the trailers I saw of that dark, film noir african city New Mombassa.

The team at bungie have tried to add little hints of graphical spruce to make it seem like a new engine but some of these changes have not helped their case, the water interaction (such as when a vehicle drives through a shallow lake) is very poorly animated and is glossed over by as much shine as they could muster. Some of the glow around the city caused by compromising the contrast because of the new VISR mode makes the city seem like a very shady red light district which isn't the feel I wanted from this game. It makes it seem as though the Rookie is going to walk into one of the many corridors to a strip club and sit and watch like something out of GTA.

I know what Bungie tried to acheive and I appreciate the effort that went into it, but IMO it just hasn't hit the spot. The best part of the game was destroying as much of the city as I could with a tank, not what Bungie aimed for I wouldn't think.

It's a decent game don't get me wrong (perhaps not £35 decent, but still, not many games are now), I really wanted to like it, I was getting bored of HALO 3 multi and was hoping that ODST would re-ignite my passion for the halo series but I find myself now quite un-excited about HALO:Reach.

I'm not trying to start a flame-war or anything, this is just my oppinion, the one game i thought I could spend my tight budget on and NOT dissapoint me did exactly that.

Glad there are people out there who do like the game though, Bungie did the impossible with both HALO 2 and 3 and technically this is just a parallel game like GH:Aerosmith to GH:3 so perhaps, with a new engine and some Bungie polish, Halo:Reach will again do the impossible.
Back to top Go down
Adzi
Noob
Adzi

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 9:22 am

ODST was always going to fail really, I mean Halo has never been about the campaign. Everybody purchased both Halo 2 and 3 purely for the online multiplayer, and ODST for me personally was just a quick and accessible way to get the newest map pack, along with reconz!! Gameplays really not doing it for me, but i'd still like to get the firefight achievements, so anybody up for some firedight, add my tag ... vital Adzi.
Peace
Back to top Go down
Garionepsilon
Mega Gamer
Garionepsilon

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Quote :
everybody purchased both Halo 2 and 3 purely for the online multiplayer,

Lolol, wrong. My dad bought them only for the campaigns, not for the multiplayer. He never got round (or just didn't choose) to getting Live for either xbox or 360. We're all tight-fisted people in my family.
Back to top Go down
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah I think the Halo campaign (apart from repetitive corridors) and Halo 3 campaign were great and Penny Arcade said that ODST is the best Halo campaign so far and I'm inclined to agree.
Back to top Go down
Adzi
Noob
Adzi

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:20 am

Everyones entitled to their own opinion I guess. But the campaigns, the vast majority of the time are just too unbelievably yawn worthy to mention. I mean dont get me wrong, their great games, I'm one of the biggest Halo fans around, i'm just not completely convinced by its storymode Smile
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:18 am

I'd agree with the storymodes being boring for the first halo games. I could never manage to get though them and I personally did just buy Halo3 due to the multiplayer (that and will forced me :p). I wouldn't write off the campaign entirely though. There is alot more story about the halo universe that you don't get to see in the games, which some people really love. Also I don't think you can group ODST in with other halo games. From what i've seen it's more gritty and has more focus on it's story.
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:48 am

Just finished this last night so can comment:

I actually thought ODST had a fantastic campaign, but what really bumps it up is a better plot and characters. Halo 2 onwards the plot became so conceited and up its own arse it really got in the way of the action and had me gritting my teeth.

Spoiler:

but this game was a much more palatable. A likeable cast of characters, a more subtle plot only revealing all in the last hour or so (rather than halo 3's spoon feeding) and as a good spin off should, adds depth to the existing games.

also regardless of the plot, people cant deny that the Halo series has some of the best action set pieces in gaming, regardless of halo 3's convulsive plot, it had some incredible action

also does this game remind anyone else of the original Halo 2 demo set in new Monbassa? maybe that cut stuff finally got a use.
Back to top Go down
edwinj85
Gamer
edwinj85

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:59 pm

I like it, but I prefer Halo 3 and Halo 1. Halo 2 had good online play, but a crap story.

Halo 1 is still my favourite, but firefight is pretty damn good. You can't beat the voice acting either, half of the Firefly crew have parts!
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:23 pm

firefly owns hard!

EDIT: I LOVE JEWEL STATE!
Back to top Go down
edwinj85
Gamer
edwinj85

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

I need to whore some firefight/co-op achievements. Who wants to join me?

Gamertag = Praetorian UK.
Back to top Go down
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

ODST Empty
PostSubject: Re: ODST   ODST Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 7:24 am

Yeah I'm fully up for firefight my gamer tag is Erebus Styx
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer