NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Call of Duty Price Rise!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Necro 17
Gamer
Necro 17

Call of Duty Price Rise! Empty
PostSubject: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 4:53 am

I have before me an article from yesterday's The Times which states that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be raised from £45 to £55 following an announcement from Activision being that it is the most anticipated game of 2009.

Of course if it sells by the bucketload as it's expected to then others will undoubtedly follow suit and we may see a price rise either in other premium rate games that are expected to sell like Mario Galaxy 2 or an all around rise in game prices which would not be pleasent for us.

Personally I hope this little experiment of Activision's fails miserably and only hardcore gamers get it when it comes out, but I have a funny feeling it may still do quite well.
Back to top Go down
Serif
Hardcore Gamer
Serif

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 am

They were right in my case, sortof.
Sure, I do anticipate this game's release, and yes I was going to buy it.
Not anymore though, I mean really, I know it'll be good, but worth that amount? Fuck no.
I'll just buy DoW2 instead, only £9.99 on play.com - sweet.

"People want to buy our shit? Raise the price!"
It's like they don't want us to buy it. This is exactly the kindof retarded logic that is failing the industry, and encouraging piracy, because lord knows, if it's the most anticipated game, and some people can't afford it... that's not going to stop them getting it.
Hell, it should be obvious what is successful by now.

Quote :
Those that discounted their games by 10 percent saw a 35% uptick in sales--that's dollars, not units. A 25 percent discount meant a 245 percent increase in sales. Dropping the price by 50 percent meant a sales increase of 320 percent. And a 75 percent decrease in the price point generated a 1,470 percent increase in sales.
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 7:35 am

Your forgetting the main reason/excuse for the price rise, and that is the falling value of the pound in the global market.

Basically its now more expensive to import games and consoles and as such in order to increase profit margins shops are putting up prices. Case in point the Nintendo Wii's production costs have decreased and as far as I know has lead to a price drop in other regions, but not the UK where retailers can not afford to drop the price. Does this account for the £10 increase? of course not, the same as the oft quoted VAT is not responsible for UK games being nearly double the cost of American copies (17.5% not = 50%, lrn2math) but the economic climate is a real factor and something we are going to have to get used too.

Sad fact is regardless of this price hike its going to sell like the proverbial hotcake, and many more AAA titles are going to be around this price point, Activision are leading the way with guitar hero/dj hero/ band hero also in line for a price hike and other publishers will most likely follow suit. It would seem that now even us gamers are feeling the economic pinch Neutral
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:13 pm

For an extra £10 i'd expect to get something extra. You know, something cool that every teenage/twenty something guy needs, like... oh I don't know... NIGHTVISION GOGGLES?!
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:23 pm

if only Crying or Very sad ....

the night vision goggles are going to require an extra £65 with the prestige edition coming in at £120

still.....NIGHT VISION GOGGLES!!! Fuck the game I just want a pair of those
But part of me expects they will be cheap and shitty

*edit* omg night vision pub crawls, 'prestige' members only
Back to top Go down
acandymancan
Secretary
acandymancan

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 4:50 am

Call of Duty Price Rise! Mw2-night-vision-prestige

I was about to comment on the same thing shoebox, those night vision goggles for the prestiege version are so fucking OTT, its the most overboard anyone has ever gone with a game. You really gotta love it to get them!
Back to top Go down
http://tompearsonmultimedia.blogspot.com/
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 am

"Got to love them"? Activision? Are you fucking crazy?!? It's a crime what they're getting away with. They're acting, publicly, like total tossers and people are still queueing up to get Activision's balls in their mouths.
Back to top Go down
acandymancan
Secretary
acandymancan

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:41 am

I ment love the game itself. That or they do suck activision balls hard
Back to top Go down
http://tompearsonmultimedia.blogspot.com/
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:45 am

tbh Activison is like the bitch cheerleader in a typical high school movie. She's a completly unlikeable person who's totally rude and thinks she's better than everyone else. But fuck me she has amazing tits and an ass that won't quit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty Price Rise!   Call of Duty Price Rise! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Call of Duty Price Rise!
Page 1 of 1