NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Left 4 Dead 2

Go down 
+2
Shoe box ant
Radical Ewok
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 10:24 am

There is some contraversey over this game and it coming out so soon. What are all your feelings about it?
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 12:55 pm

.....I was looking forward to the updates for Left 4 Dead, but I guess there not coming any more Sad The new features look good but I was lead to beleive such things would be added later, also I'm not quite sold on the new characters (Uncle Phill looks cool lol), and a year between realease??? I dont feel like I quite got my moneys worth out of the first one yet.

In the end though will I buy this game? Yes.
Will it be awesome? Yes.

I'll just man up and cave to the ugly forces of consumerism, However I feel that Hitler summed it up best when he said:

Quote :
" I've been beta testing this game for 7 months since its release!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQe4tlsfRbY
Back to top Go down
Amaya
Insane Gamer
Amaya

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 3:48 pm

Kinda feel the same as ant, though i remember reading an article on kotaku where a valve representitive stated they are not done with left 4 dead 1.

If they continue to support left 4 dead as they have TF2, cant complain really. But as they are going to continue to support both L4Ds, tis going to be a weird setup, as i doubt people will accept similar content for both L4Ds... and ultimately what can you do with a survival zombie game? Tis kinda limited in scope, though that could just be my lack of imagination.

I didnt expect this from valve though.
Back to top Go down
Serif
Hardcore Gamer
Serif

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 5:48 pm

I agree, especially concerning the limited scope of such a sequel with respect to the original game.
I mean, exactly how can valve justify releasing the new content as a complete game?
What part of L4D2 could not have been released as DLC?

All I see is a simple reskin, with new campaigns that should have been released for free, as everybody expected them to be.
People were pretty pissed when the first DLC for L4D was first announced to be something we had to pay for as an expansion.
It's like the company is trying its best to make money at this point in time.

Will I buy L4D2? No, I have L4D, and I can't see anything truly new coming outof L4D2.

*edit*
Also, I find that hitler video hilarious:
Quote :
Everyone but my co-op, Skype, MSN and Yahoo buddies leave now...
*few people remain*
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:22 am

Personally i'm not upset at all that L4D2 is coming out. Yes it is a bit shocking that it's coming out so soon after the release of the first game (in terms of valve games that is). This may not be the best argument but look at how many sports games have sequals released each year, and look at how many music games keep getting released. Also Call of Duty, a new CoD comes out every year and no one complains. The only reason why people are getting shitty with L4D2 coming out so soon is people would never expect it from valve considering it took them like 7 years? to release a sequal to Half Life.

Valve is a great company, they listen to there customers and development team and let there dev. team decide what game they want to work on next. Geuss what, they chose to want to make L4D2. The game was originally made by a company called Turtle Rock studios, but after Valve found out about it and played it they fell in love with it so much that they bought Turtle Rock so they could work on L4D. For this reason valve couldn't do all they wanted with the game since they wern't starting from scratch, which is how they work best.

The advancements they've made with just the AI director sound like the L4D2 is not just a rushed reskin of the first game, it's able to now controll the weather, change the layout of levels making you choose diffrent routes and it has better controll over the infected bots. L4D2 might have been avaliable as a patch for PC, but there is NO WAY they could have released the changes to the AI director in a patch for xbox. Also Serif I don't think Valve ever intended that you had to pay for the expantion that was released for it. From what I heard, from podcasts etc.., is the xbox market place was not happy releasing such a big update for a game without charging, to which Valve replyed, if you're not going to let us give it to them for free then we won't give it to your platform at all. That could be another reason for why they're packaging it as a stand alone game. If they had that much trouble with microsoft for releasing a new survival map (and mode) aswell as a few more versus maps then what do you think would happen when they told microsoft they wanted to give littrally gigs of new game to xbox users for free? Microsoft would defo charge for that.

Another reason why it couldn't be released as DLC is because of all the people in america who live in areas with out high speed broadband. This may sound like another argument i've just tacked on, but you'd be supprised how many people in (middle)america don't have access to high speed internet. They have to travel a few hours just to get to a walmart where they can buy there games.

All in all I trust Valve. I've been a loyal fan boy of there's since I first played CS1.6 and the first Half Life. They listen to there customers and have released rediculous amounts of free content for games such as CS:S and TF2. Just because a second L4D is coming out does not mean they're going to stop content being released for the first game. I've also heard from the 1UP podcast that Valve are thinking about releasing L4D1 with the second game as to not fracture their online community. They help indie companies develop their games and distribute them such as in the case with Audiosurf. I also think there are enough changes in L4D2 to be released as a stand alone game and for it to hold its own. I also don't think we have to worry about a L4D3 coming out the year after since Valve listen to their customers and we want Episode 3 NAUWS!

I've played over 120hours of L4D and I think I've gotten my moneys worth. The news of a new L4D, with new campaigns, characters, weapons, AI director and play mode is welcome news to me. It seems they've done a lot of work since the the release of L4D to E3. I can't wait to see what they're going to come up with in the following months between now and it's release in November.

Also if you're going to blame anyone for the lack of DLC released so far for this game then point your aim souly on the console tards. It's no secret Valve are a PC dev. team at heart, they don't even bother porting games to the PS3 and I imagin that if the coding was much diffrent from the Xbox to PC then they wouldn't develop for that either.
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 5:25 am

I completely agree with what you say, but I think the reason allot of people are miffed is because many assumed this would all be in later DLC and feel a bit let down. Thinking about it I doubt valve said there was definitely gunna be DLC, I think judging by their track record they just assumed that would be the case, myself included. If anything Valve just seem to be a victim of their own success here, the way they releasing this just seems uncharacteristic of the company and I think its this that has many people jumpy and reaching for the pitch forks and torches, worried there going to sell out or something, sure a year on year release is expected from company's such as EA or Activision, but valve?

To this I think people need to have a little more faith, Valve are a business, and now is a very bad time to be in business with the economy the way it is, If a quick release of L4D2 means we can get HL ep3 than so be it. Yes allot of this probably to do with consoles but accept it PCfags, consoles are where the money is made (unfortunately), also why not just release DLC for PC alone, wouldn't it convince ppl to convert? God knows its why I want a PC that I can play TF2.

to reiterate: I'm disappointed there will be no DLC, but am sure L4D2 will be amazing so am not too butthurt.

P.S. Wow Jay, I haven't see fanboyish passion like that since the console wars of the early 90's....I am proud to call you president Sad
Back to top Go down
Amaya
Insane Gamer
Amaya

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:38 am

Haha, is that the longest post on the forums so far Jay? Very Happy

I dont think anyone disagrees with what you say, just the major disappointing thing about a L4D2 so soon is the fact that its Valve, and Valve dont do that. Valve is like everyones fave cos they dont whore themselves out, and personally the only thing im 'worried' about is that it is the beginning of a trend with Valve, but again, as you say Valve know what they are doing and i dont expect them to make it a regular thing.

People expect it from Activision et al as ant said - and i wouldnt say there were no complaints, looking at kotaku some of the replies to articles about GH5 are very negative. Personally i hate the call of duty a year thing, but tbh that wont stop me buying them as they are good games in my opinion. The success of the Call of Duty once a year thing shows that the L4D scenario is perfectly capable of being innovative and a good game.
Back to top Go down
Amaya
Insane Gamer
Amaya

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:39 am

Shoe box ant wrote:

to reiterate: I'm disappointed there will be no DLC, but am sure L4D2 will be amazing so am not too butthurt.

Oh and you gotta a source on this noob? Am fairly certain I read somewhere that they will continue to support L4D1 once L4D2 ships...
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:45 am

I can see Valve trying to run L4D2 along side the first L4D. They've said they really don't want to fracture the fan base. From what I've heard from people who've played L4D2 at E3 it's a really outstanding game already. "It's more and better Left 4 Dead how can that be a bad thing?" Is just one quote I remember from the 1UP podcast. I doubt that L4D will get the AI director and weapons (melee) update that's going to be in L4D2 but because the sequal is set in day time it has a diffrent atmosphere.

I can't remember but I don't think L4D ever cost more than £26 from steam so it's cost that much, and getting an entirerly new game play mode is enough DLC tbh. How many other games are sold for £40 and are buggy, boring and never get updates?

Valve are a great company who care about their customers. They're so good they let the people who work for them choose what game they want to work on next. I can see some people feeling off about L4D2 coming out, but you know it's going to be a great game, reviewers who played it over E3 have already said it's a great game and that's with almost half a year left to develop it. You wern't over charged for the first game and you got free DLC for it. These are all just valid reasons why you can't be pissed off at valve. Plus with L4D2 out the way here comes HL2: Ep3 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Quote :
Oh and you gotta a source on this noob? Am fairly certain I read somewhere that they will continue to support L4D1 once L4D2 ships...

Proof??? The thousand shattered remains of broken promises from developer after developer, waxing lyrical about whole new chapters of DLC and content, only to find that after the hype disappears no mention is made of it again and what you do get is something that was already on the disc... I'm still waiting on my mass effect DLC, 'bringing down the sky' was not what was promised by BioWare Crying or Very sad

If I'm proven to be right you owe me a coke
Back to top Go down
Amaya
Insane Gamer
Amaya

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 2:56 am

Shoe box ant wrote:
The thousand shattered remains of broken promises from developer after developer

But this is VALVE we are talking about brah, as the 'fanboism' in this thread shows, we wuvs them, and believe they will follow through with what they say!
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 5:02 pm

just an update. The box art for L4D2 has been changed. Having the zombie hand with two fingers sticking up by themselfs was considered too graphicly offensive. It's been changed from the two fingers that are down fully being raised half way so it looks a little more like a claw. pix to come when i find some Smile
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

Left 4 Dead 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Left 4 Dead 2   Left 4 Dead 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 1:04 pm