NTU Gamer Soc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTU Gamer Soc

The Official NTU Gamer Soc Forum

Gamer Soc SiteGamer Soc Site  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]

Go down 
+6
Amaya
Hellfang
acandymancan
Pixellated
Radical Ewok
Fergoose
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Fergoose
Hardcore Gamer
Fergoose

News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Empty
PostSubject: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 pm

So, basically when i started gaming i got started on Medal of Honour. I used to game with a guy called Hypex, who was called Leo in real life, he was a year or so younger than me. Eventually through times we progressed to playing World of Warcraft, for me, good times, for him, bad times. It all went down hill for him when he got addicted to gaming. Now you may read this article and think its a load of shit, but i kid you not, its the official daily mail website, you can find the article your self if you search 'World of warcraft addiction knife' into http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html. He was also on ITV at some point but i failed and didnt watch it as when he told me about it, it was to be aired when i was on holiday. If you don't want to believe me, don't, but it's real and he was my friend Smile.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-419514/The-frightening-new-addiction-gaming.html

To be fair to the guy, he was well sound, and this article made him come accross like a fucking mentalist. He didn't use a knife on his mum at all, they lied. But he was heavily addicted and he did move to holland to go to a gaming addiction clinic.

Anyway thought you guys might want to read, i think it's quite interesting anyway.

Ferg

P.S. Jay, be careful Wink
Back to top Go down
Radical Ewok
Co-President
Radical Ewok

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Please don't post links to the daily mail. We're trying to keep somekind of standard on this forum. BTW MOR LOLKATZ K?!

Also the links didn't work, not having a go at you ferg. They honestly didn't work.
Back to top Go down
Pixellated
Hardcore Gamer
Pixellated

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 2:17 am

Radical Ewok wrote:
Also the links didn't work, not having a go at you ferg. They honestly didn't work.

First one failed for having a full stop at the end, second one's fine, though.

I don't care for the article, there's plenty others like it, I can tell it'll be written with bias (what isn't in the Mail), and it annoys me to see how narrow minded some people are.
Back to top Go down
http://7-0-7.co.uk
Fergoose
Hardcore Gamer
Fergoose

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 3:03 am

Your preaching to the converted pix. I know more than anyone how biased that article is, i knew the guy first hand and spoke to him when he got home from the clinic about it. But, none the less, its still a funny read lol.

"The same thing happened when I finally removed the computer from the house in April. He started posturing with a Stanley knife, just as his character does online with his weapons. It was frightening. I ended up in tears and felt helpless."

"Whenever I spoke to him, or asked him to do something, he?d start running up and down the stairs and ducking behind the sofa as though he was still a part of the game," says Jenny.

lol pls.
Back to top Go down
acandymancan
Secretary
acandymancan

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:17 am

yeah bad times, I had a friend similar to this, completly hooked on wow all day and night, whenever I logged on he would ALAWYS be there. Fortunatly he came to his senses and quit wow after he realised he had a problem. I guess he was a lucky one. Btw is your friend alright now?
Back to top Go down
http://tompearsonmultimedia.blogspot.com/
Fergoose
Hardcore Gamer
Fergoose

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 8:49 am

yeah he recovered, told me about it then deleted me off his msn and blocked me. hes not allowed contact with any ex-gaming friends :/
Back to top Go down
Hellfang
Treasurer
Hellfang

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 1:51 pm

ahh, i can sympathise. i got pretty bad for a year playing ffxi. complete recluse, as were a lot of the friends i made on the game. i managed to break the habit and tend to stay away from mmos now, but i know alot of people from back then that are still in that situation. :\
Back to top Go down
http://hellfang.co.uk
Amaya
Insane Gamer
Amaya

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Brings back memories of the 'cult of emo' article I read of theirs.

Apparently young teenagers would commit suicide in order to join the 'black parade' \o/

Uhuh, you read that right.

The black parade as in the place my chemical romance sang about Surprised

But yeah, tis a shame what happened to your friend and, as a WoW player I know of people who are in a similar position and its painful to watch tbh.
Back to top Go down
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Daily Mail is a joke of a newspaper...
Back to top Go down
http://www.erebusstyx.co.uk/
Pixellated
Hardcore Gamer
Pixellated

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Erebus-Styx wrote:

And jokes are always funny to read. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://7-0-7.co.uk
Shoe box ant
Mega Gamer
Shoe box ant

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 am

I wish to lol at the complete bias and lack of intulectal credibillity of the daily mail. But the suffering of others is no laughing matter unless they bought it on themself....like this guy

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1UgAARkpwLg

can't see that enough times. But yea I played WOW for a bit but it quickly bacame apparant that the game was gunna cost me more that £8.99 a month. the amount of time you need to put in to get any where is loads and with the amount of content in the game now, it's real off putting to see how much work you need to do just so you can raid with friends.
Back to top Go down
Fergoose
Hardcore Gamer
Fergoose

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Erebus-Styx wrote:

nice. but what happened to my friend is no laughing matter, nice to see you can find a funny side to it
Back to top Go down
Erebus-Styx
Co-President
Erebus-Styx

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 2:20 pm

That statement had nothing to do with the state of your friend, I quite agree. just voicing my opinion of that particular paper...
Back to top Go down
http://www.erebusstyx.co.uk/
3agle_land3r
Mega Gamer
3agle_land3r

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 am

did anyone else notice that all the apostrophe's were entered as question marks in that article? and that woman calls herself a journalist.... dont you need some sort of english qualification to get into journalism?
just thought i'd leave that one there anyway.... Razz
Back to top Go down
cal2jack
Casual Gamer
cal2jack

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 am

thats just an ascii problem Razz

My friend was pretty bad with his wow addiction, he stopped going out, stopped talking to people, and litterally lost about 2 years to wow. He refuses to play any game on the computer these days because of it, kinda sad.

I dont see the appeal myself, ive been playing wow on and off since it came out, and tbh, i get bored of it and delete my characters after a couple of months lol, i keep coming back to it because of friends /shrug.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]   News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

News Article - Interesting Read [Gaming Related]
Page 1 of 1